Hempel Volunteer Program 2014

Kang Ning’s story
The welcome scene
It was an extremely warm welcome by teachers and students
The commencement to our volunteering program was kick started by a warm & well-deserved welcome from the teachers and students of SMP 3 Ciparay. Although we went through a long journey from city to the school, we felt extremely welcomed, surprised and excited with the welcome scene.

As a start, I gave a short presentation about myself. The cultures and food variety in Malaysia are really quite similar as revealed by the student during the interaction. To get a much better interaction and understanding, we invited to take part in some of the local activities. These included their version of a Tug-of war with human strength and game similar to musical chair. Our turn to interact with students on football match. It is an innovating game of football suggested by Machfuddin with the used of eggplant as the kicker instead of legs. Some of the games were physically demanding but I enjoyed it. I also joined the Marawis, an Islamic religion music program at school. The students practiced with me and rehearsed for a performance during the closing ceremony. I felt the students loved this musical activity.
Tina's family
In this trip, I visited Tina’s house, who is one of the student of SMP Negeri 3 Ciparay. Theirs is a small house with four family members. There is only one light without any fan making the living rooms dark. Tina has an 8 years old younger sister who was rather quiet as she has some communication disorder. Tina’s parents make a living selling hand-made baso (meatballs) and carpets. A typical carpet (size 1.5m X 0.5m) can sold for about 100000 rupiah and it take about 2 weeks to finish. What impressed me the most was the carpet, it was made from recycled coffee powder packets. It is truly economical and comfortable. Tina has the job of collecting the free coffee powder packets from the shops after the school. Their living conditions were simple and they lived happily.
The students and their teacher
During the program, I taught the students to do origami heart box and flower. The students were excited and shown their initiative in participation. Language was not a barrier and the students were more than eager to show their talent and skills in their origami creations. The activity ended with many students presenting me with heart boxes with lovely messages in them. It was very touching.
Kiss the fish~~~
Initially, I was worried about the rice field and fish pound activity because of the safety and environmental issue. However, there was nothing to worry on it, the students and teachers helped me during the activities. I experienced the truth local life to walk barefoot in the muddy paddy field planting rice. Without any advance technology, the villagers plant rice with all traditional method. Likewise, fishing in the pond with bare hands without the use of rods or nets. As we took part in these activities, I can see they are smart to utilize what they have to live. In addition, the hands-on trip to the tea plantation made me realize that planting and harvesting tealeaves is really a tough job.

The school reminds me many past gone memories when I was a student. I used to fear the teacher, but here the friendly relationship between students and teacher was in the air. It was a great contrast to what a school really is. I wished I had attended a school like SMP 3 Ciparay. This trip was an eyes-opener for an employee at Hempel. Hempel is not just a business partner in the paint industry but an organization which is contribute back to the community by carrying out humanitarian program. It was an unforgettable trip with priceless experiences in my life. The local people are nice, warm and helpful. The trip has made me realize not everyone in this world is having the same life as us. We should be lucky and thankful instead of comparing and complaining. Life can be simple. Thanks Hempel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

八月 . 的 . 一句话后

容。谅。无。绝

The K2